This is a Print-On-Demand book and is printed upon receipt of your order. It is not returnable except for product defects. Delivery will take approximately 10 to 14 days.
Note: There is no ebook version of this title.
“The International System of Units (SI) is an extraordinary book. This volume stands out among other books I have read on the metric system. Not only is it very readable but it is impressive in the scope and depth of coverage of the history, present status of the metric system in the United States and in the world, and outstanding individuals responsible for the science that created metric units… Anyone who reads this book will grow in appreciation of this remarkable measurement system.”
—Lorelle Young, President, U.S. Metric Association, Inc.
International System of Units (SI) (Print On-Demand Edition) is a one-of-a-kind book. It provides detailed information on the metric system, its origin, history, and how the base and derived units were established.
The book has four chapters (Measurement Systems, the International System of Units, Metrication in the United States, and United States Metric Association), appendices, an afterword, and references. The book is principally aimed at educating students in the United States, but it will also be of interest to anyone who enjoys the popular sciences.
- History of the English, Metric, and International Systems of units
- Interesting facts regarding all 29 units of the International System
- Biographies of 19 scientists and inventors after whom the metric units are named
- History and timeline of definition of seven base units of the International System
- History and timeline of definition of 22 derived units of the International System
Dr. Edmund Isakov. Ph.D., has enjoyed a long and distinguished career in metalworking. He earned his Doctor of Philosophy degree in Mechanical Engineering at the V. Bakul Institute for Superhard Materials (Kiev, Ukraine). He is known for his work in research, development and applications of cuttting tools for milling, turning and boring. Dr. Isakov has authored Mechanical Properties of Work Materials and numerous articles and papers on metalcutting. He holds several U.S. patents and numerous U.S.S.R Inventor’s Certificates pertaining to carbide and diamond tools. during nearly two decades at Kennametal, Inc., he became a noted authority on the technical analysis of cutting tools. Dr. Isakov is now an independent consulant and manufacturing sciences writer based in Florida. He is a senior member of SME
Chapter 1: Measurement Systems
- Brief history of the English System
- Brief history of the Metric System
Chapter 2: International System of Units (SI)
- SI Base Units of Measurement
- SI Derived Units of Measurement
Chapter 3: Metrication in the United States
- Brief history
- Current usage of the metric units
Chapter 4: United States Metric Association (USMA)
- USMA establishment
- Brief history
- Summary of metric usage in the United States
- Appendix 1: Signatories to the Meter Convention (Treaty of the Meter)
- Appendix 2: Associate States of the CGPM
- Appendix 3: CGPM Meetings
- Appendix 4: Prefixes for Multiples and Submultiples of the SI units
- Appendix 5: Medals awarded to scientists, after whom the units of measurement are named
- Appendix 6: Standard Inductor Values
- Appendix 7: The Sixteen Bronze Statues
- Appendix 8: Temperature Conversion Formulas