“Performance measurement in maintenance is a key ingredient when an organization is seeking excellence in their maintenance practices. Unquestionably a maintenance scorecard (MSC) consistent with corporate goals will be invaluable. In this context I was pleased to see addresses in the very first Chapter not only comments on key ingredients of a MSC but also implementation issues associated with the use of a MSC. There is so little written on the balanced scorecard (BSC) concept being applied to the maintenance function, and as the first book focusing on the BSC in the context of maintenance , termed by Mather the MSC, it will be a welcome addition to the arsenal of literature available to ensure superior maintenance performance in an organizations.”
—Andrew K S Jardine, PhD, C.Eng., P.Eng, Professor, Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering, University of Toronto
“The Maintenance Scorecard is an important work in the field of maintenance management. It is important because it weaves together several disparate threads into an insightful and useful whole. Implementation of the ideas presented in The Maintenance Scorecard could focus attention of both top management and maintenance leadership to meaningful improvements.”
—Joel Levitt, President Springfield Resources
“It is so refreshing to hear someone whom truly knows what he is talking about rather than the theory merchants that tend to saturate our discipline.”
—Greg Pantaleoni, Director, Effective Systems Solutions Pty. Ltd.
The Maintenance Scorecard is the first book to seriously tackle the subject of bringing Asset Management into line with other areas of corporate activity. Through a unique adaptation of the balanced scorecard approach to asset management, it provides a structured approach for both the development of strategy and its implementation.
Additionally, readers will find a catalogue of indicators along with their uses and weaknesses, a definitive guide to measuring the success of RCM programs, and a logical format that leads them from start to finish with information and hints on each phase of the maintenance scorecard approach. If you or your company need to manage physical assets, you need this book.
- Provides the RCM Scorecard, which is unique to this book and has not been done previously to this level of detail.
- Includes information and hints on each phase of the maintenance scorecard approach.
- Focuses at length on the creation of strategy for asset management and details the differences between various industry types, sectors and markets.
- Offers an introduction to the methodology of Problem Elimination Logic, and its application and use in the industry.
- Contains a brief overview of the Technical Change Management System a method for increasing the effectiveness of capital spending in maintenance.
- Provides a guide to some of the true uses and limitations of benchmarking as a strategic tool for improvement.
- Uses many illustrations throughout to explain and underline the concepts being presented.
- Competitive Advantages – Corporate Level
- Strategic Advantages – Strategic Level
- Strategic Assets – Functional Level
- Fundamentals and Myths
- Implementing the MSC
- Strategy Tools – RCM
- Strategy Tools – Problem Elimination Logic
- Strategy Tools – Maintenance Administration
- What to Expect from The MSC
- Appendix: Common Performance Indicators
- Table of Illustrations