Elevators move large numbers of people up and down each day, mostly without incident, thanks to a strongly developed system of safety measures and the work of highly trained and experienced professionals.
In performing elevator maintenance and repair, there are numerous technical factors, not to mention huge moral and legal issues. Workers need to fully understand proper maintenance procedures so that all safeguards remain in effect. It’s also essential to be aware of applicable regulations, and to maintain compliance at all times.
For those serious about engaging in elevator work, the appropriate licenses must be acquired—an electrician’s license and elevator mechanic’s license. These are not achieved overnight.
This work covers everything a student or current technician needs to know to perform elevator diagnosis, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair, and details all the knowledge a technician must have to properly service elevators in various situations. It is also the only work that includes helpful questions and corresponding answers for those who are studying to obtain their elevator mechanic’s license.
- Offers sample certification questions and answers for those looking to get their Elevator Mechanic’s license.
- Places an emphasis on safety interlocks and the elevator system as a whole.
- Includes a history of elevators to give readers perspective on the industry and advancements in technology to date.
- Written by a renowned electrician with regular columns and contributions in Elevator World and Electrical Construction and Maintenance magazines.
David Herres, is a retired Master Electrician who owned his own construction company. He is the author of 4 books, and currently writes a weekly column and creates videos for Design World/ Test and Measurement. He has also contributed articles to such renowned journals as ELEVATOR WORLD and Electrical Construction and Maintenance.
- Types of Elevators
- AC and DC Electric Motor Maintenance, VFD Troubleshooting, and Diagnostic Procedures
- Advanced Motor Repair
- Troubleshooting Elevator Systems
- Elevator Troubleshooting Tools and Instruments
- Measuring Power Quality: How May It Be Improved
- Elevator System Overview
- Motion Controller
- Systems Connected to Elevator Installations and How They Work in Concert
- Appendix A: Study Question Answers
- Appendix B: Electrical Laws and Equations