This guide serves as a workbook to be used in conjunction with an approved course offered by a training partner recognized by the International Council for Machinery Lubrication (ICML) for a Machinery Lubrication Technician (MLT I or II) certification exam preparation course. The essence of this work is a guided, cooperative, and sometimes even argumentative dialogue between the authors, with continuous asking and answering of questions. This stimulates critical thinking, which in turn draws out underlying presumptions, and results in readers thinking like the person who actually built the exam.
The authors are strong proponents of a unique 5-step process for learning:
- Find Socrates
- Be the Exam
- Practice Exam
This unconventional method has proven to be exceptionally effective, not for only passing the exam, but to truly retaining the knowledge and becoming an expert in the content you’re studying. Certification requirements are discussed throughout the work, making this the ideal resource for prospective MLT I and/or MLT II certification candidates.
- Notes Outline: For the reader to complete. Aids in organizing ideas and thoughts.
- Guided Cooperative Argument: A dialogue between authors concerning the topics. Helps answer questions that are asked on the job.
- Statements of Truth and Exam Development: From the recommended Body of Knowledge, with space to develop your multiple-choice questions. Develops critical thinking process and understanding of how the exam questions are structured.
- Body of Knowledge Outline: Works as a reference to help answer any questions that may arise.
- Practice Exam: A mock exam designed to familiarize the reader with taking a multiple-choice test that is similar in structure and content to the real one.
- Glossary & Appendices: List of common terms, charts, and tables with which all certification candidates need to be familiar.
Michael D. Holloway has more than 35 years of experience in industry, and holds all eight ICML certifications, as well as the Certified Lubrication Specialist (CLS) and Oil Monitoring Analyst (OMA) certifications from the Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers (STLE). He has authored a dozen books. Michael started 5th Order Industry as the independent content-development vehicle for competency development and certification preparation classes.
Sanya Mathura is founder and CEO of Strategic Reliability Solutions. She is the first person (and first woman) to become an ICML-certified Machinery Lubrication Engineer in the Caribbean. Sanya is also the first female in the world to achieve the ICML Varnish Badges (VPR & VIM). She is the author of Lubrication Degradation Mechanisms: A Complete Guide.
- Outline Notes
- Guided Cooperative Arguments
- Statements of Truth and Exam Development
- Body of Knowledge Outline:
- Lubrication and Lubricants and the Purpose of Lubrication
- Gear Oils
- Gear Lubrication (Lubricant Characteristics)
- Types of Gear Lubricants; Bearings
- Oil Classification
- Lubricating Oil Degradation
- Lubricant Storage and Handling
- Practice Exam
- Practice Exam with Correct Answers and Statements of Truth