Preventing Turbomachinery "Cholesterol"
The Story of Varnish
200 Pages, 6.00 x 9.00 x 1.00 in
- ISBN: 9780831136871
- Availability: Pre-Order
- Publication Date: May 2023
Preventing Turbomachinery “Cholesterol” was written to address the misconceptions related to varnish, help readers understand its composition and evolution, dispel some of the myths surrounding varnish and deposits, detect its presence, discover the impact of varnish as it relates to flow restriction, and shed some light on the effect on efficiency, heat transfer, and lubricant properties.
It provides tangible and actionable steps to alleviate varnish obstacles, particularly on bearing operations. There is also one chapter solely devoted to achieving sustainable lubrication, as this is the future of the industry.
- Discusses the processes of oxidation, thermolysis, contamination, microdieseling, electrostatic discharge, hot spots, additive drop out, hydrolysis, and other varnish mechanisms.
- Focuses on proactive methods that can be used to minimize oil breakdown, including managing temperature, the benefits of water removal, and ways to manage antioxidant depletion.
- Covers technologies that can help prevent deposits, such as the implementation of depth media filtration, centrifugal separation, electrostatic precipitation and agglomeration, solubility enhancers and chemical flushes.
- Includes two sample tests for the ICML’s VPR and VIM certifications, along with answers and explanations.
Greg Livingstone is the Chief Innovation Officer for Fluitec. He has three decades of industrial lubrication experience focused on how lubricants degrade and how to mitigate the risks associated with oil failure. He has helped to develop oil analysis tests, filtration technologies, solubility enhancers, and other technologies used to increase the life and performance of industrial lubricants. And he has volunteered in multiple industry organizations, such as STLE, ICML, and ASTM. Along his journey, he has published dozens of papers on these subjects and helped hundreds of clients in over 50 countries.
Sanya Mathura is founder and CEO of Strategic Reliability Solutions LTD. She is the first person (and first woman) to become an ICML-certified Machinery Lubrication Engineer in the Caribbean. Sanya is also the first female in the world to achieve the ICML Varnish Badges (VPR & VIM). She is the author of Lubrication Degradation Mechanisms: A Complete Guide, Lubrication Degradation—Getting into the Root Causes, and Machinery Lubrication Technician (MLT) I & II Certification Exam Guide.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: The Basics of Varnish
Chapter 2: Problems Associated with Varnish and Deposits
Chapter 3: Factors Affecting Breakdown
Chapter 4: Proactive Methods That Can Be Used to Minimize Oil Breakdown
Chapter 5: Methods and Technologies to Prevent Deposits
Chapter 6: Benchmarking Turbine Oils
Chapter 7: Oil Analysis Techniques for Varnish
Chapter 8: Achieving Sustainable Lubrication
Bonus Chapter 9: Preparing for ICML VPR and VIM Badges.