Please note that Industrial Press no longer officially supports this older software program. The following instructions, which hopefully will assist with troubleshooting usage and reinstallation issues, are provided as a courtesy to our loyal customers.
We cannot guaranty that this older program will run on newer machines and operating systems (in fact, it is unlikely).
If the instructions below do not work, there is another option: As a previous edition Handbook CD-ROM owner, you are eligible to upgrade to the Machinery’s Handbook 31 Digital Edition Upgrade. (The discounted Upgrade version of this new digital product is identical to the regular Digital Edition, except that you must enter your previous edition registration number.) You can see the full Machinery’s Handbook Product Family and combination packages by clicking here.
We have some recommendations that should get your Machinery’s Handbook 28 working. Make sure that you have Adobe Reader and/or Acrobat installed before attempting to use this program. The following describes what you need to do AFTER you have run the setup program and authorized your CD-ROM.
We suggest that you start with Step 1, updating the FileOpen plugin, and then test the Handbook and look at Steps 2 and 3 if necessary. If you are using a laptop or do not have a reliable internet connection, get offline permissions according to Step 4. There is a link to an index upgrade for the 28th edition in Step 5 that will enable the Advanced Search feature in Reader/Acrobat X and greater.
1. After making sure you have Adobe reader or Acrobat running, please update the FileOpen plugin for Adobe Reader/Acrobat to the latest version. To do this, please CLOSE Reader/Acrobat and click on the following link: http://plugin.fileopen.com. Then follow the on-screen instructions to download and run the plugin installer. You can also check the version of the FileOpen plugin you have installed, as follows: Open Adobe Reader/Acrobat. Under the Help menu click on About Third-Party Plug-ins -> FileOpen Client … A dialog box should appear. The plugin version in the Build number. It should be 928 (distribution) or greater. If you have a lower version run the plugin installer as described above.2.
2. Open the Handbook to a topic of interest. If/when the “You are not authorized” dialog appears, please click on “Accept” or “Ok”, whichever appears. This will open the document server login web page (note, if you see a security warning choose to continue and open the page). On the web page is a field to enter your registration number. Enter you registration number and press “Login”. You should then get a Login Successful page.
Note: In the event that the document server login page does not open when you click on “Accept” or “OK”, as described above, then please open the permission server login page manually from this link, http://www.industrialpress.com/ext/LoginWebpub.asp, enter your registration number and press Login. You should then get a Login Successful page.
3. Once you have completed Step 2, go back to the Handbook and test opening the various sections. Everything should now work.
Note: If you are using Adobe Reader/Acrobat X, XI, or DC (10, 11, or 15) and receive the error: “There was an error opening this document. An internal error occurred” when clicking on one of the section headings in the left (bookmark) panel, try using a single-click instead of a double-click. Learning to use a single-click on the links should resolve this problem completely.
4. After you have the Handbook working, and while you are still online, you should open the file Handbook.offline.pdf which is located in the MH28 directory of the location where the Handbook is installed (typically c:\Program Files\Machinery’s Handbook\28th Edition\MH28\). The file is also located on the CD in the MH28 folder. Opening this file will obtain permanent offline permissions to open the Handbook when you are not connected to the internet. You only need to open this file one time. After this, disconnect from the internet and test that you can open the files offline.
5. Reader/Acrobat X and XI users should download and install the search index update for Machinery’s Handbook 28. This update allows the use of the powerful Full Reader Search in Reader and Acrobat X and XI. Users of other (earlier) versions of Reader and Acrobat do not require this update.