Retaining its unique and much praised organization, Die Design Fundamentals, Third Edition is a leading text, revised to reflect the most recent developments in design tools.
Die Design Fundamentals, Third Edition provides balanced coverage of relevant fundamentals and real-world practices so that students, apprentices and on-the-job professionals can understand the important and often complex interrelationships between die design and the economic factors involved in manufacturing sheet-metal forming products.
Following introductory material and a discussion of 20 types of dies in Chapter 2, the design process of a representative die is separated into seventeen distinct chapters. Each chapter is one step which is illustrated in two ways; first, as a portion of an engineering drawing, that is, as the component is actually drawn on the design. Second, the die design is shown pictorially in order to improve the user’s visualization. In successive sections each step is detailed as it is applied to the design of the various types of dies listed in Chapter 2.
- Includes English and Metric systems.
- Covers new methods of producing blanks, such as waterjet cutting and laser cutting.
- Contains a glossary of terms for the first time.
- Illustrates each step in pictorial view and as a portion of an engineering drawing.
- Offers a completely revised chapter on presses and quick die-changing systems and includes the addition of “Quick Die Change Systems.
- Introduction to Die Design
- Classifications and Types of Dies
- The Material Strips
- The Blank
- Fourteen Steps to Design a Die
- How to Lay Out a Scrap Strip
- How to Design Die Blocks
- How to Design Blanking Punches
- How to Design Piercing Punches
- How to Design Punch Plates
- How to Design Pilots
- How to Design Gages
- How to Design Finger Stops
- How to Design Automatic Stops
- How to Design Strippers
- How to Apply Fasteners
- How to Select a Die Set
- Dimensions and Notes
- The Bill of Material
- Presses and Quick Die-Changing Systems